For many, dry shampoo has been a real game changer. People generally use it on days when they don't have time to wash, dry or style their hair and as a quick fix between sweaty gym workouts! The best dry shampoos claim to soak up oil and clean your hair water-free…
Now, we're all for reducing the time you spend on your hair each day and making things run more smoothly and easily (which is why we designed BOOST N BLENDTM to be so quick and easy to apply!) but very few people actually realise that using dry shampoo has the potential to damage hair and contribute to thinning hair and hair loss.
Bad news for regular dry shampoo users:
Industry experts all seem to agree that excessive use of dry shampoo can lead to a host of hair and scalp problems including:
- Dull hair colour with a lack of shine – Dry shampoo contains several chemicals including aluminum starch or corn starch which appears matte when applied to the hair. Often people who colour their hair are fearful of washing it too often and stripping out the colour but using dry shampoo as an alternative has very much the same effect. Ultimately, the color in your hair looks less shiny and healthy if you over-use dry shampoo products.
- An increase in dryness and dandruff - Dry shampoo is designed to draw moisture and oil away from the scalp so it's no wonder that excessive use will leave you with a dry and flaky scalp. This is especially harmful if you already suffer from dryness and can't afford to damage your scalp and hair further.
- A build up of dead skin, germs, and bacteria – The skin on your scalp is an extension of the skin on your face. An oily, dirty buildup on your face leads to clogged pores, blemishes and breakouts and it's much the same with the skin on your scalp! If you can't imagine just powdering your face for a few days without washing it, don't do the same thing to your hair!
- Blocked hair follicles and disrupted hair cycles – Blocked follicles go hand in hand with a build up of dirt and bacteria. One of the biggest issues with blocked follicles is that it may end up disrupting the natural (healthy) shedding process. Hair sheds regularly (approximately 50 – 100 strands a day) in order to maintain optimum scalp and hair health so it's never a good idea to disrupt a natural, bodily function.
- Scalp cysts and acne – The second issue with blocked follicles is the potential for infection. When bacteria gets trapped and grows, cysts and scalp pimples often develop. Not something anyone is keen to have to deal with!
Tangled tresses – The drying effect of dry shampoo can lead to tangled and fragile hair shafts. A simple comb through these knots may result in breakage or could even lead to healthy hairs being pulled out unnecessarily.
How is BOOST N BLENDTM different from dry shampoo?
BOOST N BLENDTM and dry shampoo are completely different products. BOOST N BLENDTM is a natural powdered product made from electrostatically charged cotton fibres that gently cling to your existing hair strands. There are minor trace elements of a few chemicals but these are kept to a minimum and really only serve to keep the powder in your hair and not airborne. BOOST N BLENDTM fibres wash out easily each time you clean your hair and don’t leave any long-term residue.
Dry shampoo is full of chemicals like Butane, Isobutane, Oryza Sativa, (Rice) Starch, Propane, Alcohol Denat, Parfum (Fragrance), Coumarin, Eugenol, Limonene, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Linalool, Distearyldimonuim Chloride that soak into the scalp and hair shafts. It’s also generally a spray (although it can come in powdered forms) which is quite harsh when applied and generally sticks to your hair for longer causing excessive build up.
The pros of using BOOST N BLENDTM instead of dry shampoo:
Believe it or not, BOOST N BLENDTM actually does some of the same things for your hair as dry shampoo – just without the risks! Our fibres were originally designed to assist women with thinning hair by clinging to existing hair strands and making them appear thicker. As an added bonus, our products come in a range of great, salon-inspired colours that tone in with the majority of hair colours out there, so there’s something for everyone!
The natural cotton fibres gently absorb excess oil (without drying your hair out) and have a very similar effect to dry shampoo by boosting root volume and reducing oiliness. The reflective colour pigments change the appearance of oily regrowth while toning in with your natural colour and this leaves your hair not only looking thicker and healthier but full of body, fresh and clean too!
Sometimes, seeing is believing so…
… we doubt you’ll have many reasons NOT to try BOOST N BLENDTM volumising hair fibres! See our full range here.
Still have questions about hair thickening fibres? Here’s a great rundown of all the facts: 6 common questions about hair thickening fibres